18 Jul '16
Six Old Fashion Facts
- I bet you didn’t know when Disneyland opened in 1955, it had a lingerie store on Main Street, called Hollywood-Maxwell Intimate Apparel. It had an animatronic figure called the Wizard of Bras. I guess you could take the kids to play and do a little shopping so the parents could play later.
- Did you know that up until 1910, it was common for little boys to wear dresses until the age of 5 or 6 years old.
- The inventor of the modern bikini, Louis Réard, named his creation after the Bikini Atoll. This is where the United States did a lot of nuclear testing. He hoped it would make a bang just like the atomic bomb. Réard stated if the fabric couldn’t be “pulled through a wedding ring, it wasn’t a real bikini.”
- The bikini was banned in Belgium, Italy, Spain, and Australia, and it was declared a sin by the Vatican.
- Annette Kellerman was arrested in Boston in 1907 for wearing a form fitting one piece on the beach.
- Barbie’s first outfit was a black and white striped one piece swimsuit.